I just feel 50 million times more happier in summer. The kids may scream at me, the chores pile up, but when the weather is hot I just don’t care. I kick off my favourite footwear , I take a pew outside, crack open a cold beer or (Rekorderlig cider – have you tried those? great summer drinking). The kids run amok having fun in the garden, burning enough energy to go to sleep at the time when I can’t quite cope anymore. It’s bliss. This recipe was one of the first we ever created, some 4 years ago, it appears on a recipe gift card that is sold in gift stores around New Zealand. The photo always makes me smile – I still have it on my fridge. It just says summer in BIG out loud words to me. I hope it does the same for you. Ingrid
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tub of your favourite vanilla ice cream
- Take ice cream out of the freezer and leave to soften.
- Put sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and gently boil for about 2mins.
- Stir so the mixture does not burn – be careful! Take off the heat and add the baking soda. The mixture will froth up, stir quickly and pour onto a buttered dish straight away. Leave to cool.
- When cool, break into chunks and stir into
- ice cream. Refreeze and enjoy piled high in a cone.