From 23rd – 27th September, join Tear Fund and live on $2.25 a day for 5 days to change the way people in New Zealand think about extreme poverty – and make a huge difference.
If you Live Below The Line for TEAR Fund you’ll see your money preventing, rescuing and rehabilitating the innocent victims of the fastest growing criminal industry of our generation.
Vanessa and I were recently asked to contribute to Tear Fund’s Live below the line Cookbook, where we were asked to of come up with a recipe for under $2.25 (NZD). It was important for my recipe to be hearty and full of flavour as it may be your only meal that day (if you take up the challenge, you live on $2.25 per day for 5 days). It’s got all the right ingredients to fill you up – crunchy potatoes, spicy beans and it’s loaded with protein with a poached egg. The smoky spices give the tomatoes a huge kick. It’s also a great weekend breakfast as well as an easy Friday night dinner. It’s one for the girls and the boys!
- ½ onion, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ can black beans (or you could use baked beans, bortelli beans – whatever is the cheapest)
- ½ can tomatoes (cherry, diced, whole peeled, again whatever is cheaper)
- 1 x egg
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place potato on a roasting tray, spray or lightly coat with cooking oil and roast for 30minutes until golden.
- In a frypan on medium heat, add a splash of oil and saute onion for a couple of minutes. Add spices and mix around the pan for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and beans and mix through. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened up. Crack an egg in the middle and place a lid on the pan until egg is cooked to your liking. Serve topped with roasted potatoes.