1. In a pot, add enough water to cover four large cubed baking potatoes (such as agria). Boil until soft. Drain water and mash potatoes.
2. Add egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of milk, a pinch of salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix through.
3. Mix through 4 nobs of defrosted frozen spinach, (or 1 cup of chopped and wilted fresh spinach) (Note: Spinach is optional) and 1/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese until you have a dough. Don’t over mix.
4. On a floured surface, roll into 2cm wide logs, adding flour when the dough gets too sticky. Cut logs 1.5cm apart. Press a fork into each gnocchi piece.
5. Drop gnocchi into salted boiling water in batches, for about 3 mins or until the gnocchi has risen to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Serve with Vanessa’s homemade pesto + toasted pinenuts
- 3 cups basil, packed down
- 300mls Olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup pine nuts
- In a food processor blitz basil, oil, Parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic. Add the pine nuts at the last minute and pulse for a few seconds.
- In a hot pan, toast some pine nuts, turn down the heat and add the pesto, heat gently. Stir through homemade gnocchi.