This is one of those recipes that is full of rewards, it tastes like southern fried chicken but is baked with hardly any oil or fat, it’s a ‘chuck’ in the oven tray bake so doesn’t require you to be slaving away in the kitchen. It uses one baking dish (and a plastic bag), so no stack of dishes waiting for you after your meal and they should be served in a big pile on one plate, no cutlery, no plates just fingers and serviettes. It’a win win for me. I used what I had on hand in my pantry. I never use stock powders – I find them too salty, so I just used sea salt and pepper to season. I had panko breadcrumbs, which are basically Japanese style breadcrumbs – more like flakes than crumbs so they spread out a bit more making for a lighter, crispier coating. They were the perfect Friday ‘movie’ night dinner. Seriously gone in minutes.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons Champion plain flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- ¼ teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Remove skin from chicken
- Moisten chicken slightly with water
- Combine flour, Parmesan cheese, stock powder, herbs, breadcrumbs and sesame seeds
- Put this mixture into a plastic bag
- Add 2 drumsticks to bag and shake to coat
- Repeat with remaining chicken, coating only 2 at a time
- Place drumsticks in a lightly oiled baking dish
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes
- Cook at 200°C for 20 minutes or until juices run clear when tested
Notes + adaptations
I didn’t use stock powder, as I find it too salty – instead I seasoned with sea salt and pepper
I didn’t have any dried herbs on hand, so they didn’t go in. No one noticed!
I used panko breadcrumbs as they are lighter and crispier.