Christmas is just not Christmas without Pavlova
Recipe type: Cake
Cuisine: New Zealand (although some may not agree!)
What you need
- 150ml egg white (4 eggs)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 cup single pouring cream
- ½ cup passionfruit pulp
- 250g strawberries, stalks removed and sliced
How to make
- Set oven temp to 150C. In a glass or metal bowl, add egg whites and beat with a mixer until they form white soft peaks. I whisked on a low setting and it only took 3 mins.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time and whisk well until it feels thick and looks glossy. Add cornflour and vinegar and whisk until just combined.
- On a baking tray lined with baking paper, pile meringue high in the centre and using a spatula spread the mixture out to the edges so you get an indented top but the sides are high all the way around. This is your space for the cream.
- Reduce oven to 120 C. Bake for 1hr 20mins.
- Turn off oven and leave pavlova to cool completely in the oven. I opened my oven up just a little bit at this point, as a previous Pavlova went a light brown colour, so I didn’t want to overcook it. Its hard as every oven is different but this technique worked for me, my pavlova stayed white.
- To serve:
- Whip cream until soft peaks form and spoon into the middle indented space. spread over top. Add strawberries and drizzle over passionfruit.